The Family Truckster

The Family Truckster

Monday, December 19, 2005

Put the Dim Switch Back!

I live 30 miles outside of town--and I like it that way. My wife, my soon-to-be-born daughter, and I (and the dog--and the goats) live a nice, quiet, secluded, increasingly agrarian life out in the woods. Again, we like it that way.

Another benefit of living so far outside of town in that I have plenty of time during the drives to and from work to wake up in the morning, unwind in the evening, and generally mull things over. All of this (really!) leads me to the most recent thing to get stuck in my craw.

Why did they move the bright lights/ dimmer switch from the floorboard to the steering column? Certainly, the floorboard switch provided a greater level of convenience and ease (I have grown weary of activating my windshield wipers inadvertently), but it greatest attribute was the safety it allowed for while driving.

Many times I have been driving--especially along the back country roads to and from my house--and have been forced into a dance-like sequence of switching my bright lights on and off to avoid blinding oncoming traffic so often the cab of my truck could be confused for a Western Union office. It's just not safe to force me to constantly reach for the steering column in haste to engage and disengage the brights.

I remember the good old days (high school in the late 80's) when I drove my favourite car: a red/ orange ('rorange') 1969 Ford Mustang. Now, that was a fine automobile! I loved the power under the hood, the sleek body design, and how cool I felt behind the wheel. But I would have to say with a high degree of certainty that what I miss most about that ride is the bright lights dimmer switch ... that was on the floor!













Ah, the good old days.

No comments: