The Family Truckster

The Family Truckster

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Hey, Laaaaaady!!

'We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him.' ~ John 9:31


Another Labour Day has come and gone and with it another Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon. When I was young, I remember that my grandmother would watch the telethon religiously every year, watching nearly every minute of the 24-hour long programme. Those days are long gone and I haven’t watched more than a few minutes of it total in the past 20 years or so due to other priorities coupled with the fact that most of the ‘entertainers’ on the show haven’t been popular since Carter was president. Yet, I found myself watching a few minutes of it yesterday—due in no small part to the fact that we receive only one channel on our television and it happens to be the one that carries the telethon.
Those who know me well will understand when I say that show such as that sadden me and for obvious reasons. It breaks my heart to see people suffer from debilitating diseases and my pity and sorrow is only compounded when it is children who are suffering. It is difficult for me to watch the stories without a wrenching of my heart. I thank God that Gracie Mae is healthy and I pray for those kids and their parents, that God will grant them grace, comfort, hope, and stamina as they deal with the hardships of everyday life caused by muscular dystrophy.
And I am sad for another reason. It is undeniable that Jerry Lewis has done an immense amount of good for those struggling with MD. He has given countless hours of his time and raised millions upon millions of dollars over the past 42 years in the search for a cure those stricken. In addition, his compassion and genuine care for the children is obvious; even the casual observer can immediately recognise that his love for them and his zeal for a cure is no act. It is, indeed, admirable.
Yet, all of the money he has raised and the thousands of hours he has given are as filthy rags to God. Though, to the human eye, Mr Lewis has toiled unselfishly in his work for the MDA, to God, even such actions that we would laud are wicked when done in the absence of the proper motivation: to honour God through Jesus Christ. Jerry Lewis, though well intentioned, is not a Christian and, therefore, his good works are not acceptable to our holy and righteous God.
The Westminster Confession of Faith states it better than I ever could: Works done by unregenerate men, although for the matter of them they may be things which God commands; and of good use both to themselves and others: yet, because they proceed not from an heart purified by faith; nor are done in a right manner, according to the Word; nor to a right end, the glory of God, they are therefore sinful and cannot please God, or make a man meet to receive grace from God: and yet, their neglect of them is more sinful and displeasing unto God.
To be sure, there are innumerable people in the world who give enormous amounts of time and treasure in helping others. From a Christian perspective, I can certainly understand why God would reject such things—it goes against His character—and I am very thankful to Him that His common grace to all of us allows even the wicked to do us and others worldly good. But, from a human perspective, it saddens me to know that they labour in vain. And that is perhaps the primary reason I no longer watch the Jerry Lewis Telethon. It’s just too sad.
----------------------------








"Contrary to what many Christians have been led to believe, there is no such thing as a 'neutral' education," Shortt writes. "All education is religious and conveys a worldview, and there is no more important decision that we make as parents than how we educate our children."





I have a delivery for a Mr Harry Potter. Sign here please.





And the king of Israel answered, "Tell him, 'Let not him who straps on his armor boast himself as he who takes it off.’” ~ I Kings 20:11





'Dear Dave, I'm the pastor of a Midwest church. Do you think it's morally OK for someone in my position to want to become a millionaire as long as the desire isn't motivated by greed?'




'Confident of victory this fall on the Hill, Bush is now moving into Phase III in his War on Terror: First, Afghanistan, then Iraq, then Iran.'



‘Well, I’m-a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona; such a fine sight to see…’

2 comments:

Jacob Haynes said...

To clarify: the works still offer glory to God in so much as God is the author of all good things, but their worth is not counted unto the giver as an individual, they will have nothing but filthy rags. Using your example: Jerry Lewis gains nothing for all his hours and contributions to hold before God to acquit him from justice. But those suffering from MD do gain some physical relief. All they gain will be attributed towards God in the end even if it doesn’t get attributed in the present.

This distinction is important because I think the church refuses to help out “secular” organizations because they are not giving the ultimate glory to God. God will eventually receive glory from every charitable act; however not every philanthropist will reap the rewards.

Oh and "...Its a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowing down to take a look at me."

ninepoundhammer said...

Jacob--I agree with you completely. I did address that in the passage in which I mentioned God's common grace to us all--even through the works of the wicked. My daily bread may come from a reprobate farmer--blessing for me, 'nothing' for him.

As for Christians not assisting secular organisations, I think it would depend on their overall mission for me. The United Way, for example, gives help and money to many things I am morally against, such as homosexual groups, etc. However, something like the Muscular Dystrophy Assoc., while secular, I would have no problem giving money to because they are not (at least to my knowledge) promoting or supporting anything that goes against my Christian sensibilities.