The Family Truckster

The Family Truckster

Friday, August 31, 2007

Eee-Yow, Brute!!

May his days be few; may another take his office! ~ Psalm 109:8


Last evening I taught the 10 & 11 year-olds Covenant Kids class in Mr Gustafson's stead while he was away dropping Paul off at Princeton. (As an aside, I am very impressed with Paul and wish him Godspeed in his collegiate career.) The class is somewhat small; present were Anne Michal, the Austins (Ayers and Coats), Colin Lee, and Joshua Coleman.
I cannot express enough how impressed I am with those kids. Not only were they able to recite one of the longer passages from the Westminster Shorter Catechism (What is the Second Commandment?) but they understood and, more importantly, could vocalise, the concepts behind it and the applications and implications in their lives. I was very impressed but I was also filled with a sense of hope in the future of our church body.
--------------------------


Yeah! It’s FINALLY here!!


Hello, I have a collect call from a Mr Potter. Will you accept the charges?


PRAISE THE LORD for our freed Korean Christian brothers and sisters!!


You know we're living in strange times when James Hoffa starts making sense: 'This is a conspiracy of big business. They want to erase the borders.'


‘As Christians we believe that this philosophy is false and not something we wish to encourage. Yoga is encouraging people to think that there is a way to wholeness of body and mind through human techniques - whereas the only true way to wholeness is by faith in God through Jesus Christ.’


Hey, Kiersten—at least the spiders at your house don’t do this.


Take a look at The Politically Incorrect Guide to the U.S. Constitution.


This is what happens when we don’t take the Second Commandment seriously. The result is that man reduces (if such a thing were actually possible) the Creator of the Universe to a child’s play toy. It’s very sad indeed.


‘We have asked the Justice Department to enforce the partial-birth abortion ban since the Supreme Court ruled that the law was constitutional," she explains. "But so far our requests for enforcement of that law have been met with a deafening silence by Alberto Gonzales. And so we believe if he's not willing to enforce the law of the land, he shouldn't be attorney general anyway.’


‘Julius Caesar lay dead and Brutus was talking to his co-conspirators [sic] about swords and blood when he paused and excused himself, saying "I seem to have stabbed myself."’


The world is not such a complicated place. Lew Rockwell has a Thirty-Day Plan to Fix the Country.


I know I’m near the holy ranks
Of friends and kindred dear—
I hear the waves on Jordan’s banks,
The crossing must be near.

I’ve almost reached my heav’nly home,
My spirit loudly sings;
Thy holy ones, behold, they come!
I hear the noise of wings.

Oh, come, angel band
Come and around me stand.
Oh, bear we away on your snow white wings
To my immortal home.
~ The Stanley Brothers, Angel Band


'In the next place, the distinction betwixt the doctrines of justification and sanctification turns upon the distinction betwixt pollution and guilt. Sanctification is an inward subjective change, removing the stain or filth of sin, and restoring the image of God in knowledge, righteousness and holiness. Justification is an external change, touching our relations to the law, and removes the guilt and condemnation under which we lie. Sanctification infuses habits of grace - justification cancels the necessity of punishment. Sanctification conforms us with the precept - justification delivers us form the penalty of the law. One deals with the stain - the other with the guilt of sin.' ~ Rev. James Henley Thornwell


Here's a picture of my mama when she was a year old. I think Gracie Mae bears a striking resemblance. What think thee?

4 comments:

Kierstyn said...

"At first, it was so white it looked like fairyland," said Donna Garde, superintendent of the park about 45 miles east of Dallas. "Now it's filled with so many mosquitoes that it's turned a little brown. There are times you can literally hear the screech of millions of mosquitoes caught in those webs."

Started shivering and scimming at this point in the article.

But it really is crazy amazing!

And yes, I think Gracie Mae looks like your mama. Genetics are a crazy thing!

Jacob Haynes said...

On the 30 day plan: I especially liked Day 3 and Day 23. I didn’t like Day 11 (I actually like NPR).

On the Jesus action figure: will there be the heaven play set complete with the four creatures circling the throne and the 24 elders with crown bowing action buttons…

ninepoundhammer said...

I am not sure about that Jacob--but I believe the Four Horsemen may visit those who produce the toys. ;)

Anonymous said...

That picture of your mama is unbelievable. Are you sure it really isn't Gracie Mae?
Marian :)