The Family Truckster

The Family Truckster

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Five Things and More

Below is a list of five things that are better than being greeted at the door by my wife and daughter when I arrive home from work:



1)
2)
3)
4)
5)


(Hey, do you want to know a secret?)




One of my favourite albums of all time is Paul Simon's Graceland. I began listening to the local oldies radio station in Houston when I was in high school, so I was familiar with Simon's body of work. (Sadly, it appears that most stations believe his catalogue consists ONLY of 'Mrs Robinson' and 'Sounds of Silence'.) However, I was completely unaware in 1986 that he had something new in the offing.
My introduction to Graceland was actually quite accidental (and I mean that in the Presbyterian sense of the word!). I noticed my nerdy geometry teacher's copy sitting on his desk as I passed by (like a bat out of Hades, I might add) on my way out of class. My interest was piqued and the rest, as they say, is history.
Suffice it to say--and I won't bore you with a long-winded exposition on why I believe it should be in everyone's collection--it is a great album. It is at times joyful and ebullient, at others contemplative and thought-provoking; yet, it is always entertaining. My suggestion? Click on the link above and order yourself a copy. (You'll thank me later.)


Those who know Ashlee are aware that she has a joyful disposition (the days following the long nights with Gracie Mae notwithstanding) and is extremely easy to get along with. You may not know, however, what a great sense of humour she has. Sure, she cuts up with folks and loves to joke around--but she saves her REALLY funny side for Gracie Mae and me. I don't even think that her immediate family really understands just how funny she can be.
That being said, she also has her 'duh moments' (as do we all). So, with her permission, I will periodically share what I like to call 'Ashlee Moments.'
Ashlee Moment #1: In the way of background, let me preface this by explaining that one of Ashlee's and my favourite movies is 'So I Married an Axe Murderer' starring Mike Myers. (Since the object of the title is a woman--obviously--it would be more accurately entitled, 'So I Married an Axe Murderess.' But I digress.) Another of Ashlee's (recent) favourites is the gameshow, 'Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?' For some reason (it could have been the fact that she was defending herself from the frantic frontal assault of Gracie Mae in the living room floor), Ashlee confused the two when asking me what was on television the other night: 'Hey,' she said, 'is "So I Married a Fifth Grader" on to-night?'


Are you Pro-Life? Fiscally conservative? Peace-loving? So is he!

No comments: