The Family Truckster

The Family Truckster

Monday, August 20, 2007

Danger! Presbyterians Ahead

The Westminster men's softball scrimmage against the Best Buy Mudcats went well last night--we all had a blast. We (Westminster) got beaten pretty handily when the Mudcats came on strong somewhere around the 13th inning. (Those boys could really CRUSH the ball!) We had a substantial number of fans in the stands again--which always makes for a fun time. In addition, Uncle Norvie umpired the game, doing a fantastic job as well as encourage all of us--on both teams.
On a frustrating note, this is the third time IN A ROW I have lost a contest against Keven Lee Ayers and, as penance, must buy him lunch. Oh, well, I enjoy hanging out with the dude and he won't be my friend unless I pay. ;)
-------------------------

Misperception can be a peculiar thing. Ashlee and I have often wondered in amazement at how some folks perceive me. I must admit that, much of the time (if not most), I am at fault; many folks do not understand my brand of humour and often think I am being serious while I assume they know that I am joking. In addition, I sometimes don't make my self clear while I am pontificating on one subject or another--which is not aided by the fact that folks rarely interrupt to let me know that I am not making myself clear, leading to misunderstanding. Other times, well, I don't know where they come up with some of the things they do.
This topic arose again last night at the softball game. As it turns out (to be filed in the It's a Small World category), Andrew Brunone's colleague is a lady with whom I attended high school. In fact, I was roommates with her husband in college and was a groomsman in their wedding. Bearing in mind that I was not a Christian in those days, you can imagine my trepidation when Andrew told me he had 'heard some things' from Brenda about me. (YIKES!) The strange thing, however, was that she had told him I was at one time a ... 'hard core Darwinist.' Whaaa?!! Even in my darkest of pre-conversion days, I never doubted for one minute the literal Six 24-hour Day Creation. I was never fooled into buying the 'Goo-to-You' mechanics behind Evolution, so I don't know where she came up with that. It makes me wonder what else is 'out there' about me. Brrrrrrrr. Frightening.
-----------------------------

Pretend for the moment that you are attending a sporting event in which your child is participating. Would you root for and cheer him on only if you were confident that he would win the contest? Would you withhold your support and approbation if the outcome were in doubt?Imagine again that the coming college football season is merely eleven days away (and so it is). I reckon one would be hard pressed--in our area at least--to find a body who has delayed their decision to support the Aggies until they conclude with some degree of certainty that the Boys in Maroon will prevail over their conference rivals, finishing in first place. For those fair weather fans in Aggieland there is a name: Two-Percenters. (It is not a term of endearment.)
Why, then, is it that many well-informed folks, even those with some degree of political acumen, hold as perhaps the most important criterion for supporting a presidential (or gubernatorial for that matter) candidate whether they believe that candidate can win the election? What appears to matter most is neither principle nor agenda--but electability.
The mantra for the current and exhaustively prolonged presidential campaign appears to be, 'Can he beat Hillary!©?' rather than 'Does he share my values?'
Of course, the composite candidate at the centre of my frustration and confusion is Rudy McRomney. One (Rudy Giuliani) is a serial adulterer who supports the homosexual agenda, rejects the right to bear arms, and has historically practised a very heavy-handed (some have posited oppressive) form of prosecutorial zeal in his days with the New York District Attorney's Office. Mitt Romney, who currently appears to be courting the Conservative Base, has apparently had a Road to Damascus conversion since his recent days as a liberal governor of a liberal State (Taxachusetts)--though his fidelity to the Mormon cult remains ironclad. McCain, while he has his well-deserved reputation as a war hero going for him, has proven himself no friend of Conservatives; he has, in fact, ridiculed Christian Republicans and pushed hard for the ill-fated amnesty bill for invaders--I mean, 'illegal aliens.'
All that being said, the one man who Christian Conservatives should be supporting, Congressman Ron Paul of Texas--is being forced to convert those who should instead be flocking to him. Thankfully, those who hear him speak his message of Peace and Freedom usually become enthusiastic supporters. He is pro-life, pro-Second Amendment, favours low taxation (he would abolish the IRS), and is a firm believer in States Rights and truly following--TRULY following--the U.S. Constitution.
He appears to be the last Jeffersonian on the horizon. Any of the other candidates--Democan or Republicrat--will be more of the same. As George Wallace said about the two major parties: 'There ain't a dime's worth of difference between them.'
-------------------------

'The term "democracy," as I have said again and again, does not contain enough positive content to stand alone against the forces you dislike--it can easily be transformed by them. If you will not have God (and He is a jealous God), you should pay your respects to Hitler and Stalin.' ~ T. S. Eliot


'For in spite of its anguish in Vietnam, the Army has learned little of value. Yet the nation's policymakers have endorsed the service's misperceptions derived from the war while contemplating an increased U.S. role in Third World low-intensity conflicts. This represents a very dangerous mixture that in the end may see the Army again attempting to fight a conventional war against a very unconventional enemy.' ~ Andrew F. Krepinevich, Jr., The Army and Vietnam (1986).


Among the glaring problems with those who argue against the 5-Points of Calvinism is their misunderstanding and misstatement of the tenents themselves. Nobody this side of Heaven (at least in the post-Apostolic age) has a complete and infallible understanding of Scripture. Nobody. However, did you know that, according to some of our Arminian friends, we Reformed Christians are DANGEROUS?!! (Insert maniacle laughter here.)


‘I saw not a single bumper sticker for any 2008 candidate other than Ron Paul.'


Pastor Danny, please call your office.


This just in: A recent poll found that kids cited family ties as the primary ingredient to making them happy. In other news, the sun is hot.


'Hitler listened to [Rommel's assessment of the war effort] with downcast eyes ... Suddenly he looked up and said that he, too, was aware that there was very little chance left of winning the war. But the West would conclude no peace with him--certainly not the people who were then at the helm. And the people who would have been prepared to negotiate with him had no power. He had never wanted war with the West. But now the West would have their war--have it to the end.' General Erwin Rommel, The Rommel Papers, ed. B. H. Liddell Hart (1953).



One word: CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPY!!

3 comments:

Joshua Butcher said...

Although admittedly it is perhaps common for people to misread you seƱor Lee, considering those who know you well I would wager (and not against myself in doing so) that they would be saddened if you were very much different than you already are at present.

In plainer speech: you remain well liked--whether or not misunderstood--by your friends

Kierstyn said...

...and that's success in life. I'm Pastor Danny.

Oh, and here's my wife the other pastor.

YIKES!

Anonymous said...

I must admit I think I don't think I get the meaning of the Hitler quote.